Covington is surrounded by scenic areas, including Panther Creek, which is south-west of the village. Photo by Paul Cromer (1954)

By Ralph and James Boggs (1953)

The American Elm, which was planted in 1937 through the efforts of Clarence E. Warner, was carved into the likeness of Chief Logan of the Mingo Indian Tribe.

IN JULY 1901, The Dayton, Covington, and Piqua Traction Line was started and in October of 1902 the first cars entered the village. This electric railroad entered Covington at the South corporation line and followed High street north to the intersection of the Greenville Turnpike where it turned east and followed the Piqua Pike (route 36) to Piqua. The depot stood on the southeast corner of the intersection.

On March 10, 1903, the village council approved the construction of the Covington, Bradford and Versailles Traction Line which was to be called route 2 and joined the D. C. & P. Traction . Line at the intersection of High and Broadway. This electric railroad never materialized.

The Covington Water Works was first conceived in the summer of 1903. Test wells were drilled and land secured during the fall and actual construction started in 1904 with virtual completion in the spring of 1903. Superintendents of the water works have been: Charles Rudy (1905-1936), John Hecker (1936-1940, Alva Mutzner (1941-1942), C. D. Kellenbarger (1942-1949) and Leslie Zimmerman appointed in 1949 and still serving in that capacity. The water works is governed by the Board of Trustees of Public Affairs, a three member board duly bonded and elected for a term of two years. (The current board is composed of C. E. Peiffer, C. R. Crawford and W. C. Flory.) Operation and maintenance costs are financed by water rents collected quarterly. Water rates are established by the board and adjusted when necessary with the view of meeting regular operating expenses with a surplus sufficient to meet the requirements of equipment replacement. Currently, the village receives its water from three artesian wells (a fourth held for reserve) approximately 50 feet deep. The average 24 hour pumping to 835 metered customers is 300,000 gallons distributed from two water towers.

The dedication plaque for the American Elm, which was planted at the corner of Wall St. and University St. in Covington.

The Village Council on February 12, 1906, passed an ordinance permitting the P. C. C. & St. L. RR to construct a new railroad through Covington about one block north of the original tracks, said railroad to be elevated and to cross Main, High, Pearl and Wall streets with overhead bridges. Construction was started in 1906 by the Hoover-Kinnear Co. and the railroad was completed in 1907. A brick depot was erected on the south side of the overhead on the west side of High street but has since been torn down.

On May 12, 1907, Miss Florence Floyd was shot and killed near the residence of Lawrence Supinger on West Broadway by Danny Dallulio, a worker for the Hoover-Kinnear Co. Dalltilio then attempted suicide but lived to be convicted and died in the State Pen Hospital.

The 1913 flood shows a barn in west Covington, which burned to the ground just minutes after this photo was taken.

1913 Flood; During the latter part of March, 1913, rain came in torrential quantity for four days in succession and toward evening of Monday, March 24, the water had reached flood crest. The 1913 flood caused property loss in Covington of $50,000 although no lives were lost. Total loss to the Miami Valley was 361 lives and $66,765,574.

By a vote of 283 to 249, in a special election, the village voted to stay “Wet” in 1916. The Armory was built just before Company A was called to the Mexican Border. They were sent first to Camp Willis, Ohio on July 3, 1916, moved in September to El Paso, Texas where they remained until March of 1917.

Marshal Harvey James Hake

At 11pm on Thursday, January 11, 1917, Marshal Harvey Hake was shot and killed by Albert Warren (alias Bert Clark) at the site of Weaver’s Barber Shop, which was at that time a pool room. Hake was shot while attempting to arrest Warren on an assault and battery charge filed by his wife. The coroner ‘viewed the body’ on January 12, officially announcing the death. Warren (aka Bert Clark) was convicted and executed in the electric chair on Friday, June 22, 1917.

According to the death certificate, Harvey James Hake was buried in Gettysburg, Ohio (the Gettysburg Cemetery is near Covington) – that is where his wife Laura Belle (Hahn) Hake was born and is also buried. Harvey and Laura had two children Madge (1890) and Gordon (1893).

From The Star and Sentinel – Gettysburg, PA – Monday, January 15, 1917

This photo shows the location where Covington Marshal Harvey Hake was murdered by Albert Warren (alias Bert Clark) on January 11, 1917.

Charged with the murder of Harvey J. Hake, Albert Warren, alias Bert Clark, was committed to jail in Troy, Ohio after being placed under arrest by a posse that pursued Clark to his home near Covington where he had fortified himself to resist their efforts.

The death of Mr. Hake occurred at 11:00 pm on Thursday night, January 11, 1917, and when first information was received it was believed it was due to natural causes. A dispatch in the city papers, however, on Saturday morning told of the dramatic surrender of the alleged murderer, who walked from his barricaded home with his baby in his arms and gave himself up to the police.

The coroner ‘viewed the body’ on January 12th, officially determining Hake was deceased from a “shot in right eye by Albert Clark (murderous intention)”.

Mr. Hake was village marshal of Covington, Ohio, where he has been a resident for many years since leaving Adams county more than thirty years ago. Clark was charged with some minor offense, which included and assault and battery charge filed by his wife, and Officer Hake went to arrest him. Clark resisted and in the encounter with the policeman brought a shot gun into play. Hake’s head was literally blown off by the charge of the gun.

When news of the death reached Covington residents, a posse set out to capture the suspect. Clark went into his home and barricading the place, he successfully resisted the attacking party the entire night. In the morning he walked out of his house, his baby in his arms and surrendered himself to police.

He was taken to Troy, about 20 miles away and a charge of murder was preferred against him.

Marshal Hake was a native of Adams county and was a brother of Mrs. Edwards S. Faber and Mrs. Murray Seads, both of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. He left Gettysburg 37 years ago and for a lengthy period has been marshal at Covington, where he leaves behind a widow and two children. He was a son of the late James and Martha Hake of near Gettysburg. The funeral and interment will occur in Covington, Ohio.

The Beginning of Football in Covington…

Edited by Ralph Boggs and published by the Covington Boosters Association in 1952.

1906 Covington Football Team: Row 1 – Russell Minton, Bob Stolz. Row 2 – Albert Landis, Frank Black, Homer Wright, Roscoe Steele. Row 3 – Carol Flory, James Bartmess, Lester Faulkner. Top Row – Fred Holsinger, Lee Black, Joe Ullery, Glen Eidemiller, Neth Schilling.

Football, as was basketball, was introduced here by James Bartmess, a graduate of 1904. Although the odds against its survival were many, the sport was continued for six years and disbanded on October 28, 1910.

In those early days football was frowned upon by the people and deemed too dangerous for active competition by high school boys. However, a group of aggressive boys secured the consent of the board of education to play football; but no funds or equipment was provided. A lawn fete was held and from the sale of ice cream and sandwiches enough money was obtained to purchase a football and a new sport was born in Covington.

Under the leadership of James Bartmess, two games were played in 1904, one at Tipp City and one at Troy. Authentic scores of these games are not available, but on October 19, 1904 when the team journeyed to Troy, a Troy boy, Garrett Perrin, suffered a broken leg. This incident put a damper on the sport for the rest of the year.

At this period in school history, the classes were dispairingly small and to graduate from high school was considered quite an accomplishment. This fact accounts for the difficulty in securing enough boys to make a team. Also, before a boy was eligible to play, his parents were required to give their written permission. It is believed, during the early years, that some of the boys who played were not high school students, although playing under the name of someone duly enrolled at the school. These players were called “ringers”.

The aforementioned James Bartmess was the first “coach” and in later years, Carson Rike assisted in giving the team a few pointers although at this early date, no one seemed to know much about the game and the players largely coached themselves. They furnished their own uniforms and played without helmets although some had nose-guards made of leather and padded with pieces of worn-out horsecollars. These were made by John Metzer, local harness-maker.

The hosting team furnished transportation, via traction lines and railroads, and provided an evening meal after the games which were played on Friday afternoons. A touchdown counted five points and a team had three downs to make five yards. The forward pass was unknown. Tickets for the games were sold at 25 cents per person although the larger majority of the watchers “sneaked” in. It was considered ill-mannered for the feminine gender to watch the sport.

From 1904 to 1910…

The games were played at four different locations: (1) East of Covington on the Brown Pike on the Jack Shade farm, in 1952 occupied by Wilbur Tobias; (2) South of Covington on route 48 north of the lane leading to the residence of George Brandt; (3) In the mill bottom, north of the sewage disposal plant; (4) West of the Stillwater River immediately south of the West Covington bridge.

During this period, games were played with Tippecanoe, Troy, Piqua, Greenville, Sidney, and East Dayton High (Stivers). Early records and newspaper files are incomplete and many lost through fire and flood. However, the following scores were obtained and can be recorded as authentic:

October 21, 1905 – Tippecanoe 28, Covington 0
November 16, 1906 – Troy 6, Covington 0
November 16, 1907 – East Dayton High 5, Covington 6
November 22, 1907 – Piqua 30, Covington 0
October 16, 1908 – West Milton 0, Covington 15 (Milton’s first game)
September 30, 1910 – West Milton 6, Covington 0

October 28, 1910, in a game between Covington and Troy, Tom Ramsey was seriously injured and that evening his father, Z.L. Ramsey, a member of the school board at the time, called a special meeting of the board which resulted in the abandonment of the sport in Covington High School. However, some of the members of the team organized independently and continued football in Covington, although not a school function.

As far as can be ascertained, the membership of those early teams consisted of the following:

1904 – Russel Minton, Lester Darst, Gibbs Rike, H.A. Johnston, Roy Shaw, Luther Tobias, Frank Black, Glen Eidemiller, Otto Fulknor, Fred Holsinger, Joe Ullery, Larkin Younce.

1905 – Russel Minton, Fred Holsinger, Gibbs Rike, Luther Tobias, – Huffman, Larkin Younce, Lester Darst, – Fisher, Neth Schilling, Frank Black, Glen Eidemiller, Otto Fulknor, Joe Ullery.

1906 – Fred Holsinger, Lee Black, Joe Ullery, Glen Eidemiller, Neth Shilling, Carol Flory, Lester Faulkner, Albert Landis, Frank Black, Homer Wright, Roscoe Sease, Russel Minton, Bob Stoltz, Dick Fletcher, Chalmer Driver, Russell Pearson.

1907 – Clarence Nicodemus, Russell Pearson, Bob Stoltz, Albert Landis, Richard Fletcher, Chalmer Driver, Gordon Hake, Byron Finfrock, Minor DeVault, Joe Landis, Earl Richeson, Howard Johnston, Lee Black, Neth Shilling, Harry DeHaven, Russell Etter.

1908 – Lee Black, Clarence Nicodemus, Howard Johnston, Joe Landis, Chalmer Driver, Caris Driver, Gordon Hake, Wilbur Beery, Clarence Beery, Minor DeVault, Byron Finfrock, Neth Shilling, Russel Pearson, Earl Richeson, Leslie Rike, Clyde Fashner, Roger Mohler, Russell Etter, Richard Fletcher.

1909 – Joe Landis, Minor DeVault, Wilbur Beery, Chalmer Driver, Caris Driver, Russell Pearson, Tom Ramsey, Earl Richeson, Lynn O’Roark, Clarence Beery, Gordon Hake.

1910 – Wilbur Beery, Tom Ramsey, Minor DeVault, Caris Driver, Earl Richeson, Joe Landis, Russell Etter, Gordon Hake, Leonard Rench, Earl Branson, Clarence Beery, Howard Wright.

1947 Covington Buccaneers: Row 1 – Coach Apwisch, D. O’Roark, T. Hill, B. Langston, E. Nolan, D. Garman, Head Coach Simpson, D. Hemm, D. Whitman, J. Dea’, Coach Watson. Row 2 – Manager C Wright, D. Beard, L. Anderson, D. Via, G. Brandt, C. Phillis, B. Collins, D. Finfrock, J. Fletcher, B. Wills. Row 3 – Manager C. Reck, D. Mote, J. Phillips, F. Hemm, J. Farling, J. Bosserman, H. Anderson, B. Trembly, K. Langston, D. Supinger, J. Ellis. Not pictured – Manager L. Bauhner.

The Modern Era…
The present day football movement was started in 1946 and can be credited to no one individual. The question of why Covington didn’t play football arose quite frequently until Prof. J.L. Baker called a meeting of some of the more enthusiastic sportman of the village to determine if and how the sport could be promoted. This group, Keith Langston, Merrit Burk, Russel Johnson, Howard Buchanan, Kermit Stade, Burr Simpson, Dr. Wehr and Prof. Baker, met in Burk’s Drug Store in August 1946. Deciding to “push” the sport, an open meeting of the public was called and R.C. O’Donnell was made chairman of a committee designated to solicit funds to outfit the team.

On the opening day of school in 1946, an announcement was made for all interested boys desiring to play football to meet with Burr Simpson, appointed as head football coach. His assistants were Louis Apwisch, backfield coach and Charles Watson, line coach. The first practice was held across the street from the high school building (the vacant lot across from the old Covington Middle School on Grant St.), the players clad in track shorts. These boys had the spirit and determination and that was about all. Some had never before witnessed a football game, so the Athletic Association sponsored their travel, as a group and via school bus, to football games of neighboring schools. After sufficient equipment was obtained, this team held several practice games and in 1947 played their first regular season schedule.

Early in 1947, the Board of Education issued enough bonds to secure $5,000, and as a gift, presented them with an additional five acres. The 10-acre site was then called Smith Field. The bonds have since been retired, being paid off at the rate of $1,000 per year.

In the meantime, a Boosters Club, composed of enthusiastic sportsmen, was organized with Russell Johnson as president. This organization raffled off an automobile and along with several other projects, secured enough money to construct and equip the football field and a quarter-mile track.

On Friday, September 12, 1947, the Covington Buccaneers traveled to Maria Stein St. John, for the first football game of the modern era and dropped a 12-0 decision, and a week later journeyed to Eaton and lost again by the same 12-0 score.

The starting line-up for the 1947 Buccaneers was: Jack Farling, left end; Keith Langston, left tackle; Bill Trembly, left guard; Tom Finfrock, center; George Brandt, right guard; Frank Hemm, right tackle; Charles Phillis, right end; Dean Finfrock, left halfback; Junior Deal, quarterback; Don Via, fullback; and David Beard, right halfback.

Friday, September 26, 1947, was designated as “Booster’s Night”. In the semi-darkness at Smith Field, over 1,500 eager fans heard the words, “We have honored our country with the playing of the National Anthem…now we honor the Boosters by turning on the lights. Let there be light.” R.K. Johnston, Booster president, then presented the athletic facility and Kermit Stade accepted of behalf of the school board. Covington fans were only minutes away from witnessing the rebirth of a sport that had been dormant in Covington for 37 years.

Covington hosted the Piqua Catholic Cavaliers in this first game on the friendly confines of Smith Field, and midway through the first quarter, David Beard went 30 yards around right end for the first touchdown. Dick Supinger booted the extra point as Covington put their first seven points on the scoreboard. Late in the third period, Beard and Supinger duplicated the feat in the same manner and the Buccaneers had their first triumph, a 14-0 victory that started a tradition that exists today.

WORLD WAR 1; Company A left El Paso, Texas and entered Fort Benjamin Harrison to be mustered out but as world war was imminent, the order was recalled. After a short stay at Fort Benjamin Harrison, they were sent to Ohio on guard duty. On August 14, 1917 they were ordered to Camp Sherman near Chillicothe and later became part of the 148th Infantry, 37th Division, U. S. Army. They were also stationed at Camp Sheriden (Montgomery, Ala.) and Camp Lee at Petersburgh, Virginia. On June 23, 1918, they embarked for overseas service on the U. S. S. Susquehanna and on July 5, 1918 landed at Brest, France and a short time later were detailed for. service on the Alsace- Lorraine front. They also served at Vosges Mountains, Robert- Espange, Verdun, Meuse-Argonne, St. Mihiel, St. Jean, Weltje, Belgium, Olsene, Bellow Wood and Ypres. They returned to the United States March 28, 1919 and were discharged in April of that year.

Covington-area servicemen killed in Word War I:

Orville Bazill
Private First Class, Company A, 166th Infantry, 42nd Division
[buried in Greenville Creek Cemetery, Covington, Ohiol]

J. Lowell Boyer
Private, US Army, 1st Machine Gun Battalion, 1st Division
[buried in the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery & Memorial, France]

Albert B. Cole
Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company A, 148th Infantry, 37th Division
[buried in Highland Cemetery, Covington, Ohio].
His monument notes: “In France He Died For US”

Lloyd W. Cornor
Corporal, U.S. Army, Company A, 3rd Infantry (Ohio National Guard)
[buried in Old Ludlow Cemetery, Laura, Ohio]

Oscar P. Kindell
Private, U.S. Army, Company F, 26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Division
[buried in the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery & Memorial, France]

Edward S. Knight
Corporal, U.S. Army, Battery A, 44th Coast Artillery Corps.
[burial place currently unknown]

Arlie Carl Nicholas
Private, U.S. Marine Corps, 47th USMC Detachment
[buried in Highland Cemetery, Covington, Ohio]

Roscoe Rogers
Private, U.S. Army, Company M, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division
[buried in the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery & Memorial, France]

Fred Siler
Private 1st Class, U.S. Army, Company A, 166th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Infantry Brigade, 42nd Division.
[buried in Riverside Cemetery, Troy, Ohio, Lot 28 W, Section 12, Grave 4]
His memorial notes: “In France He Died For US”

Covington-area boys who were wounded in World War I:

Lawrence A. Alexander
Corporal, U.S. Army, Co. A, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division

Leonard C. Black
2nd Lt., U.S. Army, Co. A, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division

Millard F. Boggs
Sergeant, U.S. Army, Co. A, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division

Chalmer E. Brown
Corporal, U.S. Army, Co. E, 61st Infantry Regiment, 37th Division

Lee A. Dunham
Private, U.S. Army, Co. A, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division

Burley C. Erwin
Sergeant, U.S. Army, Co. A, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division

Alva Fansler
Corporal, U.S. Army, Co. M, 166th Infantry, 42nd Division

William M. Finfrock
Sergeant, U.S. Army, Co. A, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division

James G. Freshour
Captain, U.S. Army, Co. C, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division

Charles E. Frey
Private, U.S. Army, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division

Harry N. Gruber
Sergeant, Company C, 148th Infantry, 37th Division

John T. Hentrich
Corporal, U.S. Army, Co. A, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division

John C. Hoover
Corporal, U.S. Army, Co. A, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division

Joseph L. Hoover
Corporal, U.S. Army, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division

Ray V. O’Roark
Sergeant, U.S. Army, Co. A, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division

Ralph V. Pratt
Private, U.S. Army, Co. A, 166th Infantry Regiment, 42nd Division

Coulus W. Younce
Private, U.S. Army, 322nd Field Artillery

Covington High School Graduates who served in Word War I:
Fenton L. Boggs – Army – Class of 1915
Benjamin A. Branson – Army – Class of 1906
Willis E. Branson – Army – Class of 1911
Otis Buchanan – Army – Class of 1915
Chalmer L. Driver – Army – Class of 1910
DeWitt T. Etter – Army – Class of 1915
Walter C. Falknor – Army – Class of 1911
William M. Finfrock – Army – Class of 1912
Edward G. Fisher – Army – Class of 1914
Emery C. Fritzv – Army – Class of 1911
Hobart A. Fulker – Army – Class of 1914
James W. Hill – Army – Class of 1914
John D. Huffman – Army – Class of 1917
Joseph W. Landis – Army – Class of 1911
Harmon M. Maier – Army – Class of 1905
Henry Ray Minton – Army – Class of 1901
Ray V. O’Roark – Army – Class of 1916
John S. Perry – Army – Class of 1917
Leslie O. Rhoades – Army – Class of 1911
Galen B. Stade – Navy – Class of 1917
Luther J. Tobias – Army – Class of 1906
Fred T. Yount – Army – Class of 1902

This photo shows the school that was built on Grant St. in 1931 and will be demolished in June of 2016. This school served as a high school from 1931 until 1974 and as a middle school from 1975 to 2016. Photo by Jim O’Donnell.
A grade school classroom from 1939. Photo provided by Jim O’Donnell.

From this period on, the village grew rapidly and as the population increased, the town expanded with it. In 1931, a new high school building was erected and equipped at a cost of $140,000, a sum which was stretched to the limit and necessitated buying secondhand equipment such as the present seats in the gymnasium which were taken from May’s Opera House in Piqua. Once again, the schools were inadequate, currently absorbing 839 pupils, 439 being transported from rural districts by six school buses. The administrative and teaching staff totaled 29 and in 1952 the cost of administration was $175,135.41. The schools were governed by the Board of Education, a 5 member body, duly elected to serve terms of four years at a compensation of $3.00 per meeting, not to exceed 12 meetings a year. Present board members were: Helen Etter, clerk, Leslie Zimmerman, William Trembly, Kermit Stade, and Clarence Millhouse. J. L. Baker is Superintendent of schools, and Louis Apwisch, principal.

The local contingent of the Ohio National Guard was mustered into federal service October 21, 1940 and trained at Camp Shelby, Miss. before serving in World War II. The company was again federalized in January of 1952 and sent to Camp Polk, La. to train for service in the Korean campaign.

The sewer system, formerly owned and operated by three independent companies, was combined in 1942 when the treatment plant was constructed, and had been under the control of the Board of Public Affairs at that time. The cost of construction of the plant and the tie-in of sewers was financed jointly by the PWA and sale of general taxation bonds, but before completion it was discovered that these funds were insufficient, and $17,000.00 in mortgage revenue bonds were sold. The debt as of December 31, 1952 was $17,000.00 in general taxation bonds and $7,000.00 in mortgage revenue bonds.

Rates are established by the Board so as to provide sufficient funds for operating and maintenance, and retirement of the revenue bonds as they become due. Until the revenue bonds are paid in full, it is illegal to use funds received for sewage treatment for any purpose other than operating expense, maintenance and repair, and bond retirement. Sewer extensions cannot be made with funds received from this source.

The power plant located at Greenville Falls east of Covington, Ohio. This plant supplied electric to the villages of Covington and Pleasant Hill, as well as any farmer who lived along the path of the power supply. Some of the foundation still stands today along Greenville Falls. Photo by Paul Cromer (1954)


1901 – N. H. Nill, mayor; G. Dreese, H. Furnas, J. Metzger, O. Younce, C. Shafer and Lon Conover were councilmen.

1902 – Election Results—N. H. Nill, mayor; J. G. Wagner, L., Simes, and E. Furnas, councilmen (only three elected). Harvey Hake was appointed marshal and served in that capacity until his death in 1917.

1903 – Election—N. H. Nill, mayor; L. Simes, J. Metzger, Charles Boehringer, Jacob Kendell, D. D. Wine, and O. M. Fin- frock. J. Guy O’Donnell was appointed solicitor.

1904 – Election—John Weaver, Hamilton Bartmess, and Albert Miller to the council.

1905 – Election—R. F. Alberry, mayor; A. W. Minton, John Bashore and Forrest Hoover, councilmen.

1906 – Officials were—R. F. Alberry, mayor; Dan Knoop, Forrest Hoover, John Bashore, A. W. Minton, John Weaver and Albert Miller. From this point on, a full council was elected every two years.

1907 – Election—N. H. Nill, mayor; William Swisher, Willis Minton, Robert Himes, Charles McMaken, William Vandegrift and A. S. Rosenberger, councilmen.

1909 – Election—R. S. Van Hise, mayor; J, H. Hecker, W. A. Reed, A. S. Rosenberger, L. A. Ruhl, E. W. Thomas and Henry Zollinger, councilmen.

1911 – Election—R. S. Van Hise, mayor; W. H. Reed, E. W. Thomas, L. A. Ruhl, J. H. Hecker, H. C. McCrossing and Samuel Hoeflich, councilmen (1910 population 1,848)

1913 – Election—George Flammer, mayor; J. H. Hecker, Samuel Hoeflich. George Hollopeter, H. C. McCrossing, S. J. Rudy and L. A. Ruhl. (Flammer resigned and was succeeded by Joseph Miller)

1915 – Election—Joseph Miller, mayor; R. W. Himes, Samuel Hoeflich, W. A. Reed, George Hollopeter, J. H. Hecker and L. A. Ruhl, councilmen.

1917 – Election—Joseph Miller, mayor; Charles Boyer, A. W. Minton, J. H. Hecker, E. W. Thomas, W. A. Reed and W. C. Grabed, councilmen. E. C. Diltz appointed marshall. In 1918, Mayor Miller resigned and was succeeded by J. H. Becker of the Council. S. A. Kraus was appointed to the council. E. C. Diltz resigned as marshal and was replaced by John Kraus. W. C. Graber resigned from the council and was replaced by E. S. Mohler who resigned 2 months later and W. C. Graber reappointed.

1919 – Election—W. L. Marlin, mayor; C. E. Aspinall, Charles Boyer, D. B. Flory, Samuel Hoeflich, A. W. Minton, E. W. Thomas, councilmen. Charles Green was appointed marshal. (Population in 1920 – 1,885)

1921 – Election—Blain Devor, mayor; Arthur Adams, C. E. Aspinall, D. B. Flory, J. H. Hecker, Harry Rice and W. E. Routzahn, councilmen. Charles Green, marshall.

1923 – Election—Charles Maier, mayor; Arthur Adams, Charles Aspinall, John Furnas, Charles Ingle, W. C. Graber, and W. C. Paff, councilmen. M. W. Weikert was appointed marshal. Arthur Adams resigned and was replaced by B. Himes. Early in 1925, Charles Green served as marshall.)

1925 – Election—Charles Maier, mayor: Ralph Minnich. J. H. Hecker, C. E. Aspinall, H. C. Rice, C. B. Ingle and A. C. Rhoades, councilmen. A. C. Rhoades was disqualified and B. C. Thomas was appointed. Fred Minnich was appointed marshal. (In 1926, Fred Minnich resigned and was replaced by Frank O’Roark. J. H. Hecker resigned and was replaced by W. H. Paff.)

1927 – Election—George Hollopeter, mayor; D. B. Flory, B. W- Thomas, W. C. Flory, C. E. Aspinall, E. M. Fox and Charles Ingle, councilmen. Frank O’Roark was appointed marshal. (In 1928—W. C. Flory resigned and was replaced by John Kraus. E. M. Fox resigned and was replaced by S. J. Rudy.)

1929 – Election—George Hollopeter, mayor; Levi Warner, J. L. Reck, E. S. Mohler, C. E. Aspinall, D. B. Flory and R. E. Armstrong, councilmen. (J. L. Reck resigned and was replaced by Fred Holsinger. E. S. Mohler resigned and was replaced by J. G. Rench.)

1931 – Election—George Hollopeter, mayor; C. B. Maier, B. W. Thomas, J. G. Rench, C. E. Aspinall, D. B. Flory and J. R. Furnas, councilmen. (D. B. Flory resigned and was replaced by S. E. Ilolsinger.)

1933 – Election—George Hollopeter, mayor; J. L. Hoover, C. B. Maier, Jesse O’Roark, C. E. Aspinall, S. J. Rudy and J. R. Furnas, councilmen.

1935 – Election—George Hollopeter, mayor; C. E. Aspinall, C. B. Maier, S. J. Rudy, Jesse O’Roark, J. R. Furnas, Ira Gump, councilmen. (1936 E. B. Deeter replaced C. E. Aspinall; 1937 Paul Major replaced S. J. Rudy; 1937 Carl Felger succeeds E. B. Deeter.)

1937 – Election—George Hollopeter, mayor; J. W. Giffin, C. B. Maier, Jesse O’Roark, Carl Felger, J. D. Huffman, and J. R. Furnas, councilmen.

1939 – Election—George Hollopeter. mayor; W. H. Westfall, W. H. Perry, R. H. Wehr, J. D. Huffman, Jesse O’Roark, John Giffin, councilmen. (W. L. Schilling succeeds John Giffin. August, 1941 – Frank O’Roark resigns as marshal after 14 years service. Howard Johnston appointed marshal )
1941—‘Election—Joe Hoover, mayor; C. E. Warner, Jacob Reich- man, C. J. Hoeflich, W. L. Schilling, Jesse O’Roark and M. H. Westfall, councilmen.

1943 – Election—Joe Hoover, mayor; C. R. Crawford, H. M. Giffin, C. G. Reynolds, L. J. Adams, Jacob Reichman, and Jesse O’Roark, councilmen. (O’Roark resigned and was succeeded by C. E. Warner. 1945—Howard Johnston resigned as marshal and was replaced by W. L. Schilling.)

1945 – Election—J. B. Neth, mayor; C. R. Crawford, C. G. Reynolds, Jacob Reichman, L. J. Adams, Lester George, J. L. O’Roark, councilmen. (March 1946—J. B. Neth died, C. R. Crawford appointed mayor and H. M. Giffin appointed to council. May, 1946—W. L. Schilling resigned as marshal and was replaced by John Tobias.)

1947 – Election—E. C. Diltz, mayor; L. J. George, Jacob Reichman, Samuel Hoeflich, J. L. O’Roark, John Mutzner, George Draher, councilmen. (Draher resigned and was replaced by Russell Little.

1948 – John Tobias resigned and James Rice appointed marshall.)

1949 – Election—J. D. Huffman, mayor; H. M. Giffin, L. J. George, S. G. Rudy, R. K. Johnston, J. L. O’Roark, Jacob Reichman, councilmen.

1951 – Election—J. D. Huffman, mayor; R. K. Johnston, J. L. O’Roark, Dan Spencer, John Thompson, Fred Roberts, Roger Draher, councilmen. (Roger Draher resigned and was replaced by George Draher.)

Aerial photo of the village of Covington in 1954 by Paul Cromer.